The United Methodist Church in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin has had a long and interesting history. In 1846, the first Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in a five year old Beaver Dam cabinet shop with a class leader and five members. They built a small frame church in 1847 and a larger building in 1871 which they called First Church.
A German-speaking congregation of sixty three members organized in 1864 and constructed a building in 1870.
A larger church was built at a new location in 1895. In 1929, the name Bethel was adoped as the name of the congregation although both buildings continued to be used. In 1933, Bethel and First Church merged to become the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1959, the present church at 308 Oneida Street was dedicated and became known as Trinity Church - United Methodist. In 1997, Trinity merged with Zion United Methodist Church (established in 1857 with the first building in 1881 as Zion Evangelical Church) creating one United Methodist congregation to serve the Beaver Dam area.
Following the construction of the present church building, an education wing was added; and, in recent years, the sanctuary was reversed and an elevator installed to provide easy access. The Fellowship Hall was renovated in 2005.
Although this history appears to focus on buildings, it is important to note that the congregations that have gathered in them have found spiritual renewal in preparation for going into the world to do God's work.